Started May 24, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SuvoMitra
Contributing MemberPosts: 796
Like?
17-55 or 24-105?
May 24, 2006

I am using a 20D with 10-22, 17-85 IS, and 100-400 IS lenses. I am not really happy with the 17-85, especially CA at the wide end, non-smooth zoom motion and also less than impressive sharpness. I know these issues can be tackled in post. I shoot RAW and already spend too much time in post. I'd rather have a higher quality lens. I used to have a 24-70L with a 1DM2 and really loved it except the combined weight.

I am considering the 17-55 IS, 24-105IS, used 24-70L or used 28-70L to fill the gap between my 10-22 and 100-400. I'll use it for landscape and travel and group and individual people pictures. There will be some low light use at the longer end - mostly people pictures and architectural indoors. I need exhibition quality A3 prints for the landscape/travel/architecture subjects, and good quality A4 prints of the people pictures.

The 17-55IS is attractive because it's the most versatile single-lens combination with the 20D. On the other hand, it does overlap the 10-22 quite a bit when bringing both together. The other options starting at 24/28 are excellent in combination with the 10-22, but not really useable on its own for general shooting. But any of these would be brilliant if I move to full frame some day (and the 17-55 would have to be sold at a loss). Right now, I have no idea whether I will buy a full frame body in the near future.

If you are thinking about a similar decision, or have made one, and have some hands-on experience with the 24+ options (on any body), I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Suvo Mitra

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow