Started May 19, 2006 | Discussions thread
grey-ghost
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Re: Aperture versus Lightroom
In reply to uwe_r, May 20, 2006

uwe_r wrote:

.....Major point: LR is not a
DAM, its organisation/metadata/search features are non-existant.

As I say that. As per today I have finished my current project.
Aperture project library has 123,500 RAW files (this includes pics
from 3rd parties and free-lancers), every single
location/event/person/etc can be entered into a search and I find
everything I need almost instantly and that on a laptop (MBP).
Imagine that 1 year ago...

Well said and a really key point. After almost six months of working with Aperture on a much smaller data base ( 15,000 images), I'm still learning creative and useful ways to organize, search, and manage the image files. Smart Albums rock. The DAM capabilities of Aperture are exceptional and perhaps not yet fully understood in the general user base.

Footnote: One more great Aperture feature Lightroom doesn't have - Patch tool. This weekend I had a chance to use it, together with the Lift and Stamp feature of Aperture to quickly clean up two dozen images where the dreaded 5D sensor dust gremlin hit me with blemishes in the skies of every photo in a landscape sequence. Fixed one image with Patch, lifted the patches with the lift tool, selected the remaining 23 images, stamped the patch adjustment and voila -- all images with clean skies. (All the images, fortunately, were shot near the same time and location so the dust spots were in the same place on every image.) I haven't seen anything like that in Lightroom Beta. As far as I know, that kind of correction in Lightroom would require opening each image in Photoshop, using the Clone or Healing tool, and saving the corrected image. Doubt that could be done in the less than 2 minutes it took me with Aperture! It's all about workflow productivity.

-- hide signature --

Carpe Diem!

Mike

grey-ghost's gear list:grey-ghost's gear list
G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow