Started May 13, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
frans_vdm
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
D200 setup for flying insects.
May 13, 2006

The D200 is the most ideal Nikon DSLR for this application. To understand why you have to know how to take flying insects pictures. The shutter-lag of my D200 is 55 msec ( Nikon give 52 msec but it's slower), well this 55 msec is much to slow. Insects are flying fast, you need an fast external shutter. I use a compur1 shutter in front of the nikkor macro lens ( AF60/2.8D micro or the AF105/2.8D micro) The 60mm is more suitable for a picture plane of 85mm (example butterflies) , the 105mm is more suitable for smaller picture plane ( inferior to 50mm) example bugs, bee etc..).

The workflow is:

If there is any chance to capture an insect, start the D200 camera, manual bulb mode, manual prefocus at the intersection of the 2 laser beams. Because the external shutter stay close at this moment, the sensor d'nt receive light and capture only black level. This situation stay for a lot of time, just to the moment of an external trigger command. Sometimes this duration can be 10....60 sec. Here no long NR into the camera may used because after the trigger you have to wait again for the same long time! But...... here we have an superb camera, really the best camera for this application, because at 30 sec black capture the picture is absolutely noise free! The D200 is set at ISO100 for this. D50,D70, D100 all this Nikon cameras are not useful without long NR!

I use also a GPS coupled to the D200. Because I have already an 10 pins cable for the camera command, I have make the GPS interface into my controlbox, without the MC-35 GPS cable.

This setup is used only into the field, portable, no studio, no tripod, I walk into the nature!

Here the hole setup and results of flying insects:

Frans. ( fotoopa)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow