Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,507
Like?
Ray ..
In reply to rayk, May 12, 2006

rayk wrote:

But the point I was trying to make.....

Hi Ray.

I think this thread has a bit of a problem because there are actually many people making many different points. But the relevance of these points differs with the varying scenarios and needs of the type of shooting. What is valid for one person may not be for another etc etc.

I'm struggling with this myself on a number of levels. On my MA photography course that I'm currently on, nearly EVERYTHING we discuss here is irrelevant. The issues that are seen to be important there are indeed fascinating at times, but mostly are NEVER even touched upon in a place like this. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the majority of people here wouldn't even know that many of these issues even even exist (I'm not making any judgment on this mind

Much of what I do now with the camera is probably considered to be commercial photography. Weddings and events. There is now another completely different set of criteria to be considered and sometimes I cry with dismay when the client selects the most boring, straightforward, dare I say it, emotionless subset of prints from the proofs supplied.

I'm looking into the stock world. So much of what makes a successful stock photographer would appear to make all the tedious 100% pixel peeping stuff essential or else you won't even get your work through the initial quality scrutiny. And bugger creativity or emotion for a lot of what seems to sell. Has it got a big blank space for the advertising campaign slogan and text ??

I'm not saying people shouldn't shoot in RAW, but shooting in RAW
will not make you a better photographer. And shooting in jpeg will
not make you unprofessional.

I was going to say I agree with you. Then I thought about it and I guess the answer is ..... depends on the scenario.

For the wedding shoot type scenario, if you shot in JPG, screwed the shots. You would be considered a 'bad photographer'. If you screwed the shots but were able to pull them back and provide a good final product. In the clients eyes you are now a 'good photographer'. Now I realise that being a 'good photographer' is actually MUCH more than just the quality of the final prints ..... but I hope you see my point as well.

A final thought. If a shot got screwed (lets say through no fault of your own), but you COULD mostly have recovered it if you'd have shot RAW ..... would you be considered unprofessional through having used JPEG when the option was available to you?? Cor ..... tricky

Cheers
Unprofessional Ga

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
raykNew
raykNew
raykNew
Bob,New
ray,New
ray,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow