Started May 10, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TurboFC3S
Contributing MemberPosts: 710
Like?
Geez, out of control lens collection!
May 10, 2006

Just thought I'd share my latest thinking on lens selection ... since my assortment has grown beyond control. Right now, I own:

Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 85mm f/1.8
Nikon 105mm f/1.8 AI-s
Nikon 70-210mm f/4
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8
Tokina 12-24 f/4
Tokina 24-200 f/3.5-5.6
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di

I also have a D200 and Fuji S2

Again, I'm just sharing ... maybe somebody in the same situation is having the same problems.

I'm a pro, I travel with my equipment a lot. But now I'm finding that many of these lenses just go unused. And being a NPS member, owning Nikon glass is nice because of the amazing quick service I get.

First off, I could sell the 70-210/4, 85/1.8 and 105/1.8 and get a 70-200 VR. That would simplify things somewhat and cover the range not covered by the Sigma 120-300. The marginal loss of speed and sharpness from the f/1.8 lenses I think would be acceptable for the simplicity of not having to change lenses in the field, and having VR. However, I might keep the 85/1.8 ...

Next, I just got my Tamron 28-75 back from Tamron service. I sent it in just to see if they could make it sharper. It took over 2 months, but holy cow did it come back sharp! So sharp that I think I can sell my Sigma 30/1.4. At 28mm and f/2.8 now the Tamron is tack sharp. I can hand-hold 28mm steady enough to make up for that 2 stops difference I think.

Then sell the Tokina 12-24 and get a Nikon 12-24. Benefit being slightly more sharpness, AF-S, and being able to use my NPS membership if needed.

No need for the Tokina 24-200 I think, so dump it.

And my final lens collection would consist of:

Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 70-200mm VR
Nikon 12-24mm f/4
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di

And I could even consider selling the Sigma 150 macro for a Nikon 105 VR macro - again, NPS support and a sharper lens. And I think VR would be very handy when trying to hand-hold macro shots.

About bodies, I'd sell the Fuji S2 and get a D70s as a backup. I think the Fuji makes better pictures, but it's long in the tooth and clunky to use. The main benefit would be battery simplification since I could just own 4 EN-EL3e's and share them between both bodies.

I know a lot of people are like me and buy lenses without the final goal in mind. But at some point you say to yourself, "WTF am I doing?" If I make these changes, I think I can finally stop with the buying and be happy for a long long time.
--
Ryan Scott - Motorsports Photographer
Why I shoot --> http://www.rxtuner.com
My galleries --> http://www.rxphotos.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow