Anyone with a Slik 614 carbon tripod?

Started May 2, 2006 | Discussions thread
prophotog
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: Anyone with a Slik 614 carbon tripod?
In reply to alexpphoto, May 5, 2006

As I am still deciding upon a zoom lens for the 5D I can't answer your question directly. (All of my stuff is Nikon). Do you have recommendations? Are the Canons 24-70 2.8 or 24-105 f4 IS worth the extra weight when traveling/ Are they ... incredible? or just satisfactory? I have been looking at the Tamron 28-75 2.8 as a possibility however I never like to buy an off brand. Any thoughts about that one. I like the light weight and compact specs. Is there a problem with using a non Canon flash with the dedicated Canon speedlight?

Back to your question. I placed a 6x9 Century Graphic, with lens and Mamiya Roll film back, on the tripod which is over 3 1/2 lbs. The head held it fast in all positions. (I use the camera as a mini view camera for trips and intend soon to buy an Imicon scanner to digitize the images). Another note. I also avoid using the tripod extended to full height as it is a bit "spider legged". It works best with only three of the four sections extended if you want a solid support (about 41" high to base of the camera). I tend to prefer the lower-than-eye-level perspective anyway.

You really need to test drive the tripod yourself if you are able.

I would be interested in knowing what you finally buy as I am also looking for the ideal travel tripod.

For years I used a Gitzo 302 Mini Studex with a Sinar View Camera for architectural photography in the field. It is sturdy and folds to only 16". The only problem is that it weighs 5 lbs (6 1/2 lbs with head). It was OK for carting through airports in a case but not good for carrying on your back.

Good luck on your search.

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow