ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mike m
Contributing MemberPosts: 609
Like?
Foam Flash Diffuser - pics
May 4, 2006

Hi everyone,

I have finally found the time to post pics of the foam flash diffuser that I have been using lately. Total cost: $2

The diffuser linked below is made from 2 pieces of "fun foam" or craft foam. I've stapled mine together, attached a couple bits of velcro, and I'm off and shooting.

Here's what I like about it:

1. Works in landscape AND portrait orientation by sitting sideways on a swivel flash unit, like the Flip-it.

2. The amount of bounce can be adjusted by tilting the unit forward or all the way back for a more traditional bounce technique.

3. Because the unit wraps partially around the flash, more of the light is thrown forward towards the subject, like Chuck G recommends.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1427850

I have used it for a few portraits and event sessions--it does not eliminate shadows completely since there is still a lot of light directed straight at the subject, but the shadows are manageable because of the bounce.

The final image in the link is an alternate version that is bigger, creates a bit of a bowl effect, but still allows for light to be bounced in varying degrees. The smaller version is quicker for making adjustments to the angle of the bounce.

Let me know what you think. Mike

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GlueNew
DembNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow