Noise, noise, noise... am I missing something?

Started May 3, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bennohessler
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Noise, noise, noise... am I missing something?
May 3, 2006

I am 44 years old, and photography is my hobby since I was 13. So I have a background of 31 years now. As an amateur, of course. Still learning and willing to learn. Listening to more experienced amateurs and pros.

But what I really don´t understand are these endless discussions about noise (in the DSLR area).

• The D200 doesn´t deliver noise-free images at ISO 3.200! Even at 1.600 ISO there is visible noise! Nikon, do something!

• The Canon 20D (5D) has less noise at ISO 1.600/3.200 than the D200! (or vice versa, depending on the point of view)

And so on, and so on. The point is: I don´t get the point. Remembering analog film days, I used to shoot with 100 ISO, sometimes 200 ISO, and rarely 400 ISO. That´s still what I do today; at least most of the time. So noise really is no important thing to me.

Today, you can change the sensitivity of your "film" instantly, even from picture to picture, just when you need it. Could you do that with your film camera? Nobody talks about that!

Nearly all DSLR cameras have good noise behaviour up to 800 ISO. So please can somebody tell me: Is the noise question at EXTREMELY HIGH settings (please remember that!) really THIS important? I doubt that.

Of course, this is my opinion only. I am looking foreward to hear other people say what they think.

Greetings from Munich,
Benno

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow