Started Apr 30, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ben805
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Prime or 17-55 f2.8 IS for 30D?
Apr 30, 2006

I've been shooting mostly portrait (about 1100 shots within a week) with my new 30D and 50 f1.4 lens, this setup is great for both indoor and outdoor and the result is absolutely stunning, though for indoor the 50mm simply isn't wide enough to take group shot, so I am looking for a wider lens to fill in the gap for those special occasion. The 17-55 f2.8 IS looks great on Klaus review, I have no problem to sprung out the money when it's available for sale, and I don't care about FF compatibility either so EF-S isn't an issue for me at all. But I just do not know if it's worthwhile to spend that much money on a lens that won't get use that much since I love using the 50mm as my primary walkaround lens. If I end up buying the 17-55 IS then the 50mm probably will end up staying in the bag most of the time. So should I look for another prime lens such as Sigma 30/1.4 or Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM to fill the gap? or bite the bullet and get the 17-55 IS to cover the entire range instead?

I'll also get the 70-200mm f2.8L IS to cover the long range soon, I will be using that beast to capture candid shots of my 3yr daughter, and it will be useful at church when I'm sitting far back without disturbing the services with flash and shutter noise and stuff, I hate using flash anyway so I think the few extra stop gain by the IS is a big plus. The 17-55 f2.8 IS + 70-200mm f2.8L IS sure sound like a killer combo.....LOL

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow