Started Apr 22, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TimboUK
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
Birding Lens Recommendation
Apr 22, 2006

I am looking for some advice regarding the purchase of a "Birding" and general wildlife lens for 350D.

I have a number of years experience birding and have dabbled (mostly unsuccessfully!) with digiscoping recently.

My plan is to revisit some of my favourite birding haunts and photograph birds where previously I was content to simple watch (and record)

I generally visit reserves, moorland , shorelines and hills in the UK - I understand the importance of good "glass" - currently I have 8.5x42 Swar EL Bins and a Leica APO scope (32x ww eyepeice).

Birding is done from hides, on foot and even from the car - which incidentally makes a really good hide!

Budget - not unlimited! - I kinda thought I might get a decent telephoto lens for around £800 - £1000 (say US$1,100 - $1,500) but there are so many combo's re focal length, teleconverters, prime v zoom etc that, frankly I am unsure of the best way forward!

Any experienced birders/wildlife photographers real world experience is most welcome.

Also - I have a couple of good tripods but do most birder photopraphers shoot hand held or with a tripod? - or indeed a monopod?

Many thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Tim

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow