Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,658Gear list
Like?
Re: iView Media Pro or Aperture?
In reply to John I. Clark, Apr 20, 2006

John I. Clark wrote:

Bottom line: is the
3.x version upgrade worth another $110?

Before I bought it, I didn't think so. When I looked at the unimpressive list of new features, I thought it looked more like iView 2.7 rather than 3.0. The addition of a lightbox view for comparing images in 3.0.1 beefed it up a bit. But, still, I thought, $100 for this?

Once I'd been using it for a few weeks, though, I thought $100 was a bargain. First off, it's stable, more stable than any previous version I've used since 1.5.7. There is a progress bar for running processes - yea! Subtle changes to the Organize panel seem trivial but actually make selecting and organizing disparate files much easier. And, you can now narrow selections by command-clicking on folders in the bottom half and criteria in the top half. Example: click on a folder to display its contents, then command-click on red label to show only those within the selected folder, then command-click on a keyword to show only those among the group. It's like a boolean search for all images that include A and B and C, only you can do it with just a few clicks instead of calling up the find tool and typing. Very handy. Oh, another thing - you can now rank images with stars (1-5) as well as label them with colors. Yea!

At first glance, iView 3 looks just like 2. But, once you get to using it, you'll discover a whole host of minor usability improvements that make it a joy.

I'm also extremely tempted by the fact that I could get edu pricing
on Aperture through my spouse and end up getting it for $150. Makes
spending $110 on iVMP less tempting than it already was!

Thoughts?

Download iView and use it intensively for the 3-week trial period. You'll need to really put it through your workflow wringer to discover all that it has to offer. If you just muck about with it for an hour or two, you'll have barely scratched the surface. Read the manual quickly all the way through to find solutions for problems you didn't even realize you had. I did that for the first time with iView 3, and I kept thinking, "Huh," "Wow!" and "I didn't know you could do that." And, I've been using iView for about four years.

If you do a lot of image management - revisiting old images, combining images from different shoots into new groupings, tracking JPG, PSD, TIF & RAW versions of the same image, tracking backups on offline media (CDs/DVDs), etc., iView is invaluable. In addition to being a professional photographer, I also still work as a photo assistant, and every time I have to work on a job without iView, I end up cursing.

That said, Aperture looks intriguing. Only the price and the incompatibility with my 12" Powerbook have kept me from trying it. It's a shame there's no trial version available, as I'd love to put it through a two-week shake-down. Honestly, though, with iView + PSCS2, there are very few times when I think "There's got to be an easier way to do this." Aperture's main appeal to me lies in the ease with which one can assemble page layouts and produce polished web galleries and printed albums - the back-end stuff I think of as post-post-processing.

-- hide signature --

'Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.' Lord Acton, British
historian.

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow