Started Apr 11, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jltuttle
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
First time wedding... HELP!
Apr 11, 2006

I'm doing a wedding for a friend. I've never done any photography for anyone yet, however. He's aware of this, but wants the wedding done on the cheap, and I'm happy to help. I currently have

30D (1 4GB CF, 3 batteries)
580EX (Sto-fen Omni-bounce)
EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
18-55 kit lense

After reading a thread about another photographer doing his first wedding for his sister, I've decided that I should buy the EF 50mm 1.4 USM. The church is usually well lit, and it's white inside, walls and ceiling. The reception hall is another matter, large windows, but only standard lighting. Plus, half of the reception will take place at night.

I'm going to do some shots outside. Do I need the polarizer filter? For the 17-85 or the 50? Spherical or linear? I have the canon lense hood for the 17-85, would this be enough? Should I buy B+W or Tiffen? Will the 17-85 be alright outside?

Should I buy a white card to set the WB or can I use the white walls? I'll must likely be shooting RAW+jpeg because I'm so new.

Also, I'm going to try and transfer the images to the laptop between ceremony and reception. Is another CF absolutely needed?

To be frank, I'm acatually past my budget here. So while I would like to buy the battery grip or pack for the flash, or a flash bracket, I probably shouldn't. I've read so many good things about the 50 f1.4 that I can justify that, but not much more.

I've been reading this forum for a little while now. Without sounding to obsequious, you guys are terrificly helpful, and I look forward to any advice.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow