Started Apr 11, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,907
Like?
Warning! To New Users!
Apr 11, 2006

Do NOT download any RAW photos you care about using Olympus Master software that came with your new Olympus camera!

Apparently, Olympus Master encrypts the photos some how so that other editors/organizers can not recognize the the photos. AND you can only export FROM Olympus Master as jpgs. Once your raw file is 'catalogued' by Olympus master, you are stuck with Olympus master as your only software capable of manipulating an ORF (raw) file.

At first, I though the software was merely incompetent, but now that I see how it works, I strongly suspect that it is extortionware. I am willing to bet the upgrade products DO allow you to export an ORF file. fortunately, I discovered this by using test images I don't care about.

My opinion of Olympus just went down a notch and I am beginning to wonder if I made a mistake by buying an E500. I mean, are they going to surprise me again?
--

Some see the cup as half empty, others see the cup as half full. Personally, I see the cup being knocked over.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Eek!New
ODM,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow