POLL: 5D VF dust – encouraging all users who do NOT have this problem to post!

Started Apr 9, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Valliant Lauritzen
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?
POLL: 5D VF dust – encouraging all users who do NOT have this problem to post!
Apr 9, 2006

Viewfinder Dust problem on 5D

I want to use a 5D but reading all the threads here and at Rob Galbraith about the “eyelash-in-the-viewfinder” dust problems of this camera, I’m having serious second thoughts. One of the reasons I want to go FF is to have a bright viewfinder but I’ll rather have a dim and clean viewfinder than a dirty and bright viewfinder. I read that for some users the dust is so severe they cannot easily see the 5D’s AF points. But for me much less dust would be an annoyance in my daily use of the camera, both composing and focusing.

The eyelash-in-the-viewfinder dust problem is presumably caused by dust that has entered the camera during manufacturing and then later moved around inside the camera until it eventually has settled in a place where it can be seen in the viewfinder. Canon has not made an official announcement on the issue so I only know what I have read on the many threads.

Reading the threads on the 5D dust problems it would seem that a lot of users find these problems so distracting that they send the camera back to Canon to be cleaned since the only way to clean it is to disassembled the camera. Unfortunately it does seem that quite a lot of users even experience viewfinder dust problems after the camera has been serviced by Canon.

I encourage all 5D users who read this thread to place themselves in one of the following categories below (I suggest that you write what category you belong to i.e. 1), 2) or 3) in the subject line and write more in the message space IF you want to elaborate e.g. how much or for how long you have used the 5D). Especially I encourage users who have not had any viewfinder dust problems to put down the “1)” in the subject line since I suspect that users without problems are less prone to participate in writing about something as trivial as a dust free viewfinder. So please put down your 1) to let us all know that your 5D viewfinder is without dust!

Here are the categories to place in the subject line for the 5D camera/cameras you have been using:

1) No viewfinder dust problems

2) Minor viewfinder dost problems (e.g. something was there but then it went away or it is so small that it doesn’t really bother me but if you are a perfectionist concerning your gear, you might be bothered by it)

3) Severe viewfinder dust problems (it bothers me and I think many users would be bothered by this, more or less)

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoneNew
1,2New
re:2New
NoneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow