Started Mar 29, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tar4heel2
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
Update on my drowned 5D
Mar 29, 2006

In our last episode, we learned I dropped my 3-month old Canon 5D in the creek. (See this post: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=17769729 )

I was all prepared to send my body to Canon to look at it. So, today I was in Horn Photo, a longtime Canon dealer in Fresno, reserving a lens to rent, and mentioned to the guy what happened. He said "You'll spend about $800 minimum if they open the case and do anything internally to the camera. For $250 they will run diagnostics and if they find anything they will need authority to go further. A Level 3 (or something to that effect) repair is about $1,000 all told." Hmm... Another salesman told me the same thing, so I went to Boots Camera where the guy has been there 25 years selling Canon, and he said the exact same thing. All recommended I just keep using the camera, and if it fails, THEN I have a specific issue to wrestle with and not "hunt and peck" the innards of my camera. Besides, in two years I will have another updated camera to buy anyway, and chances are better than not it will be fine till then. Selling it would be the biggest downer because I would have to disclose the swim it took. But I just think spending $1,000 on a problem that does not exist yet is a bit much.

So... we begin each day with a prayer, bowing to the east... kind, gentle conversation with my camera... A renewed enthusiasm for safety protocol... and hope for the best.

Opinions?

Phil

tar4heel2's gear list:tar4heel2's gear list
DxO Optics Pro Elite
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow