Started Mar 19, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
driz
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
Shooting with primes...
Mar 19, 2006

Relatively new DSLR user who is looking for a mid range lens/lenses (I already have the kit lens but want to upgrade).

I am thinking about the various zoom lenses including 24-70, 24-105, 17-85, 17-55 IS, etc, and have a good feel for their pros/cons, but what I dont yet understand enough about is the option of just using primes.

For people who shoot primes, is it very difficult to compose images without the zoom option? Do you use them mostly in preplanned, relatively controlled situations, like posed portraits? Does anyone use them for walkaround shooting for cityscapes/landscapes?

Also, doesn't the use of primes often require significant cropping for many shots?

My intended use for this/these lenses would be varied, including portraits, landscapes/cityscapes, and architectural. I would like it to have good low light performance. Sports and moving objects are not important. Most shots will be handheld and without flash.

Thanks,

david
http://dbr1.smugmug.com/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow