ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tomes
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?
Weird in camera jpg processing on 5D?
Mar 6, 2006

Hi,

I have been playing with RAW+JPG, and I'm quite confused. For JPG, I have enabled Noise Reduction, and Sharpness set to +1. Using AWB. Everything else is standard.

I took pictures without flash, outside. When opening in Picasa, I prefered the JPG's instead of RAW. The colors were punchier, and of course a little sharper due to sharpening. Any idea WHY colors are punchier though? Is it the camera applying some additional color processing (I did NOT increase color saturation in menu), or is the Picasa raw reader showing very muted colors?

Then I took some pictures inside, with my Metz 54mz4, bounce, using the built in diffuser as well as auxilliary flash on the Metz. (Mounted on camera and in AUTO Mode). Camera was set to Manual to achieve deep DOF and high shutterspeed. However I tried in Program mode with lower DOF and Shutter, and got similar result; The Jpg's were way too contrasty. My chocolate color couch turned black. However in the RAW, all detail seems to be there (be it a bit muted).

Can anyone enlighten me on some of this behavior?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow