Started Mar 4, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 19,043Gear list
Like?
Camera Rant
Mar 4, 2006

While posting in another thread I went off in a tangent that is the result of all this "my camera is better than yours" ranting that I often see in this and other forums. I've been taking pictures for about 45 years with 37 of those using SLR's. Before digital it wasn't like this. Sure, some people had their favorites but it was more about the finished product than the equipment used. I used Minolta SLR's. If someone else used Canon or Nikon who cared as long as it suited them. Most Pro's used Nikon for their durability but the results were not "better" than mine. The larger format cameras produced more detailed "sharper" images than 35 mm but the cost and hassles with their use made them unsuitable for most people. Even the people who used these cameras in studio use usually used 35 mm for everyday use. They didn't turn their noses up at the less sharp images. Part of the problem is that today it is too easy to zoom in on an image to see differences that are not visible normally and really don't matter most of the time.

The s9000 IS getting close to DSLR. The speed, feel, picture taking ability, and photo quality are very DSLR like. From what I've seen and from my own experience with the camera it is almost as good. 95% of my photos are indistinguishable from those taken with a DSLR at normal print size. It's like saying car A does 150 mph, car B does 145 mph therefore car B isn't close to being as fast as car A. In a drag race it makes a difference but while driving the two cars you couldn't "feel" the difference. Personally I'm not in to looking at highly magnified crops of images and looking to see which one is "better". I just want to sit back and enjoy the whole image. Photography isn't a competition as to who has the better camera. It's about taking good, pleasing photos.

A true competition would be to see who takes the best pictures with the worst camera.

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow