Started Mar 3, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nereo
Contributing MemberPosts: 802
Like?
What ISO would you like?
Mar 3, 2006

I love hypothetical questions (if only to get a sense of what people would like).

Let's assume that digital chip manufacturing could go one of two directions:

1) they could keep the native resolution at ISO 200. Setting the camera to high ISOs would result in a high degree of noise.

2) they could increase the sensitivity of the chips until the native resolution was ISO 3200. However, going to low ISOs would also result in unwanted noise.

In this hypthetical, both chips have the SAME NOISE at their native resolution. Would you want a chip that was 4 stops faster?

My answer to this is I'd love the higher ISO. I remember first using the grainy (but fun) T-Max 3200 with my f/1.7 to take pictures inside a cafe using only ambient light. I still tend to shoot under such circumstances.

But, I know that in bright sunlight such a fast camera would mean going to very fast shutters and very small apertures, which may be undesirable for some.

So what do you think? I pose this question because I believe increasing the sensitivity is possible, and will perhaps will have a greater impact on most people's photography than developing sensors that exceed 10MP.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow