The one lens you wouldn't want to be without?

Started Mar 3, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob P.
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
The one lens you wouldn't want to be without?
Mar 3, 2006

There is a current thread on "Worst lens." I'm curious about the responses to looking at it from the other perspective. Not necessarily the "best" lens, but the one lens that you use that you would give up last. Mine is the Nikkor 28-105 1:3.5-4.5 D.

Why?

It gives great images on either a DSLR or a Film SLR. It's light. Most of my camera work is evidence photography, and the focal length range, even with the 1.5 factor, is wide enough to capture what I need. I can always pan. If the light is low, there's flash. The 1:2 macro capability lets me get in very close, and on the D2x, I can crop to produce stunning closeups. I also like the cost to replace if necessary - $309.

FWIW, I also have the 18-200 VR (my "vacation" lens), the 50 f1.4, the 80-400 VR, the "Kit" 18-70, a Tamron 19-35 (that I keep on my F100 for "must have" WA grab shots), and the 70-300 Sigma (nice for macro shots of rattlesnake faces and the like). I had the f2.8 105 and sold it because I wasn't using it enough. I could not be without my 28-105.

What's yours?

Bob P.
Tallahassee, FL

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow