Started Mar 2, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PixelMinded
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022
Like?
Pro2/G7: A 'hinting' reply from Canon
Mar 2, 2006

Fellow Canonites, I sent Canon an email yesterday concerning Pro1/G6 replacements and about my being unable to decide whether or not I should go ahead with buying a Pro1 or wait for the illusive replacement(s). Although their reply was mainly composed of usual sentences like: "At this moment there is no information available regarding a new product announcement in this category". I think that there maybe some very indirect hinting in the reply (please don't yell at me and tell me there is nothing, I just said "MAYBE"). I felt it'd be nice to share this with u, and hear from u-all what u think about it. I quote below almost the entire email and reply (just left out the: " We-value-you-as-a-Canon-customer" beginning, and the end. First the email with one "> " then the reply with two "> > ":

I really would like to buy either the Pro1 or whatever new top prosumer cameras you might come up with (Pro2 or the like). However I am unable to decide whether I should get a Pro1 now or wait for a replacement. Either way I may regret my decision as it is an uninformed one. The Pro1 is getting more expensive everyday, and if I do not buy it now, I may never be able to buy it (which I will regret in case nothing new replaces it). If I buy it, it is also possible that you may surprise me by a sudden and quick announcement of a Pro2 (could happen as early as next April). So why all this secrecy when your customers need the information badly, and your competitors seem to be utterly uninterested in making cameras of this class?! If you are not going to announce any G, Pro or equivalent new series until the end of 2006, I think the benefit of making this public far outweigh any losses you might be worried about. Secrecy does not necessarily always help whoever adopt it as a policy. The Ex-USSR for example was well-known to be too secretive and that did not help in the end, as we all know. I am not satisfied with the A610 (although it is a nice camera), I need something much bigger literally and figuratively, and the EOS series is not suitable for me: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=17397415 Am I so odd that I do not deserve to be offered any model among your lineup?!!! At least let me buy peacefully the museum piece I am interested in then."

"We not privy to the decisions regarding product releases. At this moment there is no information available regarding a new product announcement in this category. Please keep in mind, however, that Canon continuously reviews its product lineup, and as new products are introduced, existing models are often taken out of production. We recommend you check our website (www.powershot.com) from time to time to learn of new product announcements in the U.S. market."

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow