Started Feb 27, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DennisGS
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?
My experience with Promaster Flash and 5D
Feb 27, 2006

Last Friday I received a Promaster 7500dx flash. Prior to this I have owned a 600si/3500xi combo and of course, since last November when I got my 5D, have used my 3500xi on it controlling it by manually adjusting the aperature. I got pretty good at guessing, but longed for the automation I once had with my 600si. With it I usually shot with it bouncing it off the ceiling with a Lumiquest 80/20 attached. With the 600si, exposures were virtually flawless. With my 5D, as long as I guessed the aperature right, they were dead on also.

Then I get my Promaster, tossed it on, went to shooting, and found myself very disappointed with the results! The exposure was all over the place! Some under, some over, quite a few good, but nowhere near enough to trust it! I was very disappointed (especially since I live in Europe, ordered in in the US, and had a friend bring it over to me! Return? Yeah right.)

It was then I read the instructions. (Ok ladies, quit snickering). I then learned how to read the flash range scale on the flash LCD. Guess what, when your subject is in the range listed on this scale, exposure is perfect!

Now, with film, I virtually never noticed an abudence of under or over exposed photos. Why? Is film more forgiving? Is the 3500xi more capable of lowering it's power to shoot close-up? Or, is it a function of the Promaster flash? Does it have a narrower range? Does digital have a narrower exposure range? Does the 3600HS and 5600HS have the same problem?

Anyhow, I would be very interested in some feedback on this. Now that I've figured out this flash unit, I find it very reliable. I just have to be more aware of the working flash range than I have been in the past. I don't mind this, I'm just not the sharpest dude on the block and have really grown to depend on automation to set my exposure so I can direct my attention to composition and people.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Dennis

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow