A2 sees Pleides with stacking

Started Feb 25, 2006 | Discussions thread
Steve West
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,271
Like?
Re: Possibly better trigger system
In reply to Esa Tuunanen, Feb 26, 2006

Esa,

I can do a shorter exposure with the built-in intervalometer--even 1/2000th sec if wanted, but I am stuck with 30-sec between exposures. You simply have to get the exposure long enough to bring the stars out of the noise of the camera, or you have to take a bazillion shots. I notice that registax can also stack video!!

Even if you went to a shorter exposure and took many more of them, if you are on a fixed tripod, the images will rotate. When you stack the images, you specify a point to derotate from. The farther away the stars are from that point, the more they rotate and hence will always make a trail [blur] no matter how short the exposure you use.

The only simple way around all of this is to put the camera on an equatorial mount. Then you can take longer exposures and there is no image rotation.

I've been looking at making a "barn-door" hinge device with a motor. There are some very nice designs that can be made for about $15. They'd be perfect for this type of thing.

Steve

Esa Tuunanen wrote:

If I remember right someone had done remote release which could be
used to take multiple successive shots automatically...

That way you could take more shorter exposures to minimize star
movement in single frame.

-- hide signature --

Esa 'E.T' Tuunanen

-- hide signature --

Steve W

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow