Started Feb 20, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,419Gear list
Like?
R-1 Telephoto Conversion Lens and Adaptor Q&A
Feb 20, 2006

Anybody know much about these two items yet? I know that the lens is of superior quality and very large, and I think it would be a welcome addtion and worth the money if, and only if, the adaptor that you have to use in addition has a tripod mount on the bottom of it. From the looks of the pictures of it, it uses the tripod mount to mount the lens adaptor itself to the camera. That could be a major problem if there isn't a mount on the bottom of the adaptor itself to mount your tripod to it as a tripod will most certainly be needed for the extra range and weight of the lens/adaptor.

Another very important question is whether or not you will be able to use filters on the main lens itself or not still. Since the conversion lens will have to mount very close to the main lens I doubt you will be able too, and I don't see any threads on the end of the conversion lens for say, square filters or what not. I've emailed Sony about this, and am awaiting a reply. I know the end of the conversion lens is huge, 5 inches across, so we shall see. I live and die by using a polarizer filter so if I can't use it or other filters, then what would be the benefit of purchasing it other than just getting close to animal life and what not? For a 400 dollar additional investment, I would hope Sony has these questions covered. If not, im happy with R-1 and what it is and will just have to get something else for a telephoto situation (possibly a new Sony DSLR!!).

Carl

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow