Should I stay with Nikon or to move to KM?

Started Feb 10, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
peterteee
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Should I stay with Nikon or to move to KM?
Feb 10, 2006

What would you do? I asked the Nikon folks the same question and gathered their biased opinion. I would like to get your expert and, admitabily, biased opinion as well.

I don't have a DSLR yet, but I am looking to get either a Nikon D50 or 5D.

I have a small army of old but pristine Nikon bodies ( F2 and F3), and AIS lenses (35-70 f3.5, 50 f1.4, 80-200 f4, 105 f2.5) and AF 28-105. I don't plan on parting with any of them for their infrequent use with my film camera, and the fact that they aren't really worth too much money now.

I know about the Nikon D200 being able to meter with all those older lenses but I am not ready to spend 1800 bucks at this point. So if I buy into the D50, I would use the old lenses a bit but not a whole lot since it is really not that convenient with all that stop-down stuff. But I woud do so to continue on the Nikon platform, get more AF lenses, in hope of getting the D200 one day so I can easily use all my older lenses.

The question is: would you say I am one who is heavily invested in the nikon platform and should stay with it. Or would you say the old manual focus stuff doesn't quite qualify me as such and I have little to loose if I move on? And that I can easily switch and build my AF collection on a newer platform.

I like to use the new DSLR for indoor or natural lighting portraitures.

I am looking at these two cameras because of their price range. As for the KM 5D, I figure the image stabilzation will help with the photography I do.

You opinion is appreciated.

peter

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow