Started Jan 17, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photo-Wiz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
R1 - Disappointments
Jan 17, 2006

I've been salivating at the thought of getting the Sony R-1, so I went into Fry's and looked at one yesterday. Although there is much to like about this camera I was surprised by some of its design flaws. So here they are:

1. The electronic viewfinder picture is extremely choppy when you move the camera side to side to re-frame. This was perhaps due to the low light in the store. But still, this was very irritating. I compared the EVF on my Panasonic FZ20 in low light, and it is much smoother with virtually no chopiness. You'd think on a high end camera such as the R1, Sony could get this right.

2. The camera definitely is low light challenged when it comes to focusing. I can live with this, but it would be nicer if Sony could make the autofocus more responsive in low light.

3. The LCD is much too SMALL. At 1.8" it is difficult to use as a waist level finder. I had assumed that one of the joys of using this camera was the ability to hold it like an old Rollei TLR at waist level - as this is a great way to hold a camera steady. It can be done, but the small LCD size makes it harder to use it in this manner than it should be.

4. I found the detente in the shutter between a half press and actually taking a picture to be to subtle. Most of the time I tried to focus with a half press of the shutter, I ended up accidentally taking a picture.

I haven't ruled out getting this camera, as the reviews on the lens are very impressive. But my initial impression was less than I had expected.

Andre

Photo-Wiz's gear list:Photo-Wiz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow