Started Jan 6, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
James Davison
Contributing MemberPosts: 614
Like?
Madness...
Jan 6, 2006

I travelled a lot this year, from Calgary, where I am a grad student, back home to Victoria, then Hamilton, Ont. for the summer, to Boston and up the coast to PEI and back through Quebec, and then to Europe where I studied in Spain and visited many more places around Europe and North Africa. All the while I was lugging my Manfrotto, a bag of L and prime lenses and my 10D.

I just returned, with more files than I know what to do with.

All the while, I have been lusting after this 5D or a 1D II, thinking...if only...the 10D is OK but imagine what I could do with the latest and greatest etc.

Well, while I had my Dell Inspiron with me, with the lovely 1680x1050 display, I have only begun looking at the images I have taken in earnest.

Are any of you stuck with thinking that, if only I had this camera or this lens, that then I will start going out into the world and really taking pictures that matter? Because, I still have not. I don't need a better camera. I need more guts. Guts to get in that position to be great. I need to invest in a process that will get me from the click to the print to the exhibition in a more decisive way.

I just processed this:

It's big, it's got bags of resolution and it's large enough for me to display as as I want to. This from an obsolete 10D, where I finally don't care enough about it to take to sandy places, to bazaars in Morocco, and hiking all over the place. This is when I get good shots.

I need time, I need decisiveness, I need to see that which others don't, and I need to be good. This shot above is useless on the web. It's useless in a small form, because to really get into it it needs to be big. I need to find a way to get people to see my work in the flesh...

Or am I just nuts? I'm a grad student and tens of thousands of dollars in debt, so a new body is out of the question. I just don't see a lot of discussion anywhere about reaching limits and making that transition from photo.net uploader to trying to reach an audience in person.

Sorry for the ramble..

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow