Should it be so hard to choose a stupid lens?

Started Jan 2, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sun300D
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Should it be so hard to choose a stupid lens?
Jan 2, 2006

Is it Canon’s marking strategy to make sure that none of its lenses is a “perfect” walk-around lens for 20D and 350D users? All I need is a single lens with a great range and excellent quality for landscape photography, and I am even willing to pay. But, after spending countless hours reading reviews and other people's comments, I still do not have a clear preference. The 17-85 IS is almost perfect in range, but does not have the "L" quality. There are many good reviews on 17-40, but it needs to be at least 40mm (ok, even 15mm) longer in range to be cloase to perfect. The new 24-105 is long enough, but many people complain they miss those 6-7mm on the wide side. Does that mean Canon leaves us with no other choices but to buy and carry two of its lenses or to upgrade to its more expensive FF cameras? By the way, what (and how many) lenses do you guys carry when you travel around, shooting landscape?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow