Started Dec 20, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kaholt
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
50 f/1.4 vs 28-70 f/2.8 for travel portraits
Dec 20, 2005

I currently have Nikon 17-35 and 70-200 lenses for my new D200 (DX format of course). I am looking to add something in between to allow for some casual travel photos of my family and relatives who will all be on a cruise together right after Christmas.

I would eventually like to own the 28-70 lens as it will in a sense complete my collection of Nikon zooms and be a very nice complement to what I already have. My question is, since I already spent a mint on the D200, if I could get away with a fast 50 mm lens for my immediate purpose and yet still get long term value from it. The 28-70 isn't cheap, so I'd like to defer for awhile. On the other hand, I don't want to throw money away on a 50 mm if it will be obsoleted by the zoom when I purchase it later on.

Just interested in everyone's thoughts. My wife will kill me if I don't come back from the trip with stacks of excellent photos of her family. I don't normally do a lot of of this particular type of photography, so I'm not sure what is the best option for me on lenses.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow