Started Dec 17, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,502
Like?
strange ebay bidding pattern on E300's
Dec 17, 2005

I've been scanning ebay for an E300 body, and noticed something rather unusual. Thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else is thinking of buying an E300 on ebay.

Cameta has 13 refurbished E300s up for sale right now - 10 with 14-45 lens, and 3 with the 2 lens kit. Starting bid of $1. Sounds pretty good, right? Here's the weird part - current bid on all of them is $650. Seems a bit high for a refurbished E300/single lens, and the same high bid on all seemed very unusual.

So I started looking at bid history. Now it gets even more interesting - there are always two bids to bump the price up to $650, and it's the same four people doing it - two pairs of two.

And to make it even more interesting, the two bids elevating the price to $650 were submitted within two minutes of each other, in all cases.

Now, I've bought from Cameta before, got a good deal on a 50 Macro, they don't seem the type to shill bid, especially in an obvious manner like this.

There was a bidder scam where one person would bid high, the second person would bid a bit higher, to elevate the price up and scare off other bidders. Then, the 2nd bidder would yank their bid at the last minute, dropping the price to next to nothing (or in this case, $1) and the first bidder would get a bargain. That might be what these rascals are trying to do.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow