Started Dec 15, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tony Merlin
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
E500 build quality
Dec 15, 2005

I have long been a fan of Oly gear.I've had an E20p and I've now got a C8080WZ , an OM30 and I've just bought an E500.

My first impression of the E500 was that the build quality was inferior to my C8080 which has a chunky magnesium alloy body.

The hard plastic body of the E500 does not have that certain tactile qualitythat helps to provide us addicts with the thrill that we are using an instrument of quality.

The eyepiece adjustment wheel is too small and fiddly. The battery cover's sliding plastic lock is stiff and tatty. The main control wheel is covered with a plastic film that cheapens the appearance.

Olympus are clearly making drastic cuts in quality control to make their product competitive. The camera is manufactured in China. I've nothing against the Chinese but if my car had been manufactured in China I would be asking a few questions because there is not a tradition of building cars in China.

However, I will attempt to enjoy my new Chinese takeaway and hope that it will out perform my C8080.
--
Tony Merlin

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow