Damaged S602 CF Card jammed into pins...HELP!!!

Started Dec 14, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
slade riley
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Damaged S602 CF Card jammed into pins...HELP!!!
Dec 14, 2005

I am utterly lost... It all began when my spouse tried to insert the CF card into the 602 to get some quick picks of our son walking for the first time. I was at work when I got a call asking why the camera was not working (card not initializing). I got home and tried to format and noticed it kept giving me "card error". Tried it in my new S9000 and it was fine. Tried it in the CPU it was fine. Thats when I noticed that the pins inside the camera were slightly bent and not all level. Some are pushed down about half way to the board. I am guessing that it is not making a connection. Well after taking the housing off and trying with tweezers to strighten / pull them level again, I feel I am making the situation worse.

Where Do I go now? I am not happy with the S9000 and am preparing to sell it, but I do have a new S20 Pro on the way. I just want to keep the S602 as it has been such a reliable camera and the wife really likes it.

I understand that repair for this could be quite costly. Do I just use SM card and forget the CF option (It will be wifes camera and she could care less about CF)? OR do I continue to try and fix myself (limited circuit board knowledge), anyone know if it is as easy as just pulling the pins back out , or is the damage already done? OR bite the bullet and send it in for repairs?

I have learned one thing. Avoid taking the CF card out. Just use the USB. I was getting spoiled with USB 2.0 card reader and was taking the CF card out despite my own knowledge that this opens up a can of worms . PLAY IT SAFE, use the USB connection, a no brainer.

Answer me this though, Why is there so much slop when inserting the CF card? I myself have almost jammed it in a couple of times, as it is not easy to insert unless on the right angle (S602 implied).

Needless to say my wife feels horrible.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Slade

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow