Started Dec 12, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pedro Claro
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?
Canon 24-105/4L IS + 1.4x TC
Dec 12, 2005

I've done a search and only found info about 24-105/4 IS + 2TC, which seems a 'no-way' option.

I'm building a new lens setup around my yet-to-buy 24-105/4 IS and I'm thinking about a light and small walk-around kit (300D + Tokina 12-24/4 + Canon 24-105/4 IS + Extension Tubes + 1.4x TC). Before anyone points it out, I know that a TC is not a substitute for a real tele lens and extension tubes are not a substitute for a real macro lens, but my idea is just to have a nice 12mm to 105mm combo, mostly stabilized, which in case of need can be extended a little more (147mm, equivalent to 235mm with crop factor) and can also be used for close-ups. FWIW, I have a Macro lens (Tamron 90/2.8 Macro Di) and I will buy a tele zoom some point in the future - so the 24-105 IS + TC is not going to be a full-time option. But this combo packed in a sling type photo bag would be my ideal walk around equipment, excluding the need of tripod and extra lenses. I'd use my macro and the future tele zoom for specific works (macro escapades, birds, sports) but would not need to carry them around for 'regular' photography.

So I'd like to know - especialy from actual users - the following:

• Can Image Stabilization be activated with a 1.4x TC (I'm thinking about Kenko DG, as both Canon and Sigma TCs are unlikely to fit)? And with tubes (again Kenko ones)?

• Assuming that AF still works with the TC (as it should), how much is it affected? And with the use of tubes?

• And what about image quality with the TC? Any noticeable difference in sharpness, contrast, distortion, CA?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Best regards.

-- hide signature --

...oooOOO{X}OOOooo...

Pedro Claro
Marinha Grande - Portugal
--
...oooOOO{X}OOOooo...

Pedro Claro
Marinha Grande - Portugal

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow