If this is what the E-300 can do.... what about the E-500?

Started Dec 9, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bishybarneybee
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
If this is what the E-300 can do.... what about the E-500?
Dec 9, 2005

I received my E-300 almost 3 months and just about a month ago got back from the UK. Did I have a ball shooting almost 1 gig/day worth of pics. You could not have asked for more beautiful weather either. Crisp, clear, cold, mornings and some of the most spectacular sunsets you have ever seen. I am convinced due to the far north latitudes of the British Isles, et. al., both the sun and the skies are much more remarkable than here on the Gulf Coast of Texas.

I did not mean to digress right off the bat, but, did so just to set the scene for some absolutely perfect weather for photography. The morning sun usually provided for some well lit scenes, however, midday till about 3pm GMT was average even with overcast, misty, foggy, days. However, come about 3pm and on GMT you could not have found lighting better choreographed than if you had had a professional lighting crew. Up until then I had never seen blues that blue, rich golden warm tones, air clarity, dare I go on and on. The most spectacular thing though is that my E-300 captured it all.

I have been into photography as an amateur and part-time professional. I am a medically retired dentist and started my digital photography when I finally got tired of having colour photos processed for my dental surgery. I started off with the Oly 600 SLR and eventually had to go to the Oly C-2500 after someone wanted my Oly 600 more than me. (It was stolen)

So, I am and have been closely associated with the Olympus capabilities. However, not until this camera have I really appreciated what is truly possible with digital cameras.

A dear friend of mine, Chris Ewing, that lives in Handsacre, Staffordshire, UK, is a retired professional photographer and shared with me whilst I was visiting some valuable tricks with available light photography. One of the reasons that I even mention this is that our tour of Litchfield Cathedral did not allow flash of any sort. You might know that that Nov. 11th day was overcast and gray. However, the E-300 shined inspite of the low light and extreme contrasts.

In the extreme variety of settings the 14-45mm lens was definately a choice lens, however, up on top of Dover Castle and Dover Habour, Bodium Castle, and Hastings Castle, the 40-150mm lens proved its value. This brings me to part of my query about the E-500. The weather was clear and well colour balanced but the wind would blow at gale strenth at times. I did wear a well padded lens pouch on my belt with one of the two lens stowed. However, trying to change lens on the fly in those winds was tedious to say the least. No......I never did drop anything...camera or lens. It sure would have been nice though to have had two camera bodies set up with each lens. One just for the convience of not having to change lens in adverse weather conditions and the other to facilatate rapid candid shots in crowds.

I "cut my teeth" on Nikon cams and was use to the large prisms by the view finder. I have loved the streamlined, non-encumbering confirmation of the E-300 and really am at a loss as to why Olympus felt compelled to bulk up their new E-500. Basically, I prefere the physical architecture of the E-300 and after reading the specs of the E-500 would love to hear some comments pro or con regarding whether to buy another E-300 body or a newer E-500. I am well aware of the perceived urgentcy many manufacturers have in getting something new and better out into the market place to improve sales. Newest ain't always the best.....

This is my first posting as I am a newbie, so thanks for everyone's patience.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow