Started Dec 6, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil Rose
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,315Gear list
Like?
FL-36: fantasy firmware update?
Dec 6, 2005

A couple of months ago, I returned my brand-new FL-36 flash to Olympus for warranty repair. The problem was, briefly, that although there was correct flash operation with my E-1, there was a complete failure to work with my E-10. After waiting for nearly 10 days to get feedback about the repair/replacement, I was informed by the Oly service rep that the flash problem had been diagnosed as a need for a "newer" firmware version. Considering that I had owned this flash for just a week or two, I was told they would replace it with one of more-recent manufacture--i.e., having the newer firmware-- rather than updating the firmware of my "old" flash. This, I was told, was being done as a "courtesy". OK, as long as the new one works well. It did.

Well, today I just got around to connecting my gear up to Olympus Viewer so I could verify the various firmware versions. Guess what? The FL-36 firmware shows up as being version 1.0. Hmmm, was that Oly rep just blowin' smoke up my viewfinder, or what? It would appear that the firmware version may have had nothing to do with my FL-36 malfunction. The flash was simply defective, and replacing it with a new one solved the problem. Has anyone with an FL-36 observed the firmware to be something other than version 1.0?

Phil

Phil Rose's gear list:Phil Rose's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow