Started Nov 28, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cameranserai
Contributing MemberPosts: 609
Like?
FF a reality? Then it's goodbye from me
Nov 28, 2005

I am not alone here in having heavily invested in DX lenses and Nikon DSLR cameras. To date my investment runs me at approximately £6,000 ($11,000) including a D70, D2X 17/55 and other matters. I have been a Nikon faithful for over 20 years and before buying my D2X and 17/55 considered seriously abandoning ship and decamping to Canon for a FF camera.

My older Nikon stuff had no real value, in fact I think I'd have to pay someone to take away my old 24/120 noisy and slow lens, plus my older 500mm mirror as well as push/pull zooms and manual primes.

Now add the non value of an F2, F90X and F5 all heavily used with most of the lacquer worn off and we have the grand total of not much at all. Hence my considering moving camps. The D70 and kit lens aren't worth anything now either.

But old habits die hard. I prefer the feel of a Nikon to a Canon, finding the 350D like a toy in my hand for example. The D70 felt immeasurably better to me. I am not Canon bashing here, just simply stating a personal preference not based on marque loyalty but how the camera felt. If it feels good I feel able to take better pictures, that's all.

Now if the new postings have some truth in them, in that Nikon will be bringing out a FF sensor and camera, I am going to be seriously annoyed as will many other professional and serious amateur photgraphers. All that investment will in effect be wasted, especially on the lenses which won't work with a FF camera. The immediate impact will also be to sharply devalue the D2X and concomitant lenses and accessories.

That not withstanding, I will decamp and sell my Nikons, all of them, together with their lenses and flashes and filters and whatever on Ebay for the best price I can get. I am not prepared to continue to do business with a company which sets out to mislead it's bread and butter customers who spend a fortune on swiftly outmoded and outdated equipment. It is a cynical and short term mode of business breeding mistrust and lack of future confidence. The day it arrives, I place my order for the all new Canon 1D Mk Z with 60 million pixels and FF plus a range of lenses which will ALWAYS work in the future no matter what the new body brings.

There, I've got it off my chest. What do you think, those of you who also have heavily invested? Am I alone in thinking like this or others too going to be as incensed as me?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
huhNew
Yes!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow