ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Yoddle Laheehoo
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
E500 frustrations
Nov 20, 2005

Hello everybody,

I have monitored this forum for some time now, because I want(ed) to buy the new E500. My local camerastore finally called last week that an E500 had arrived (they are not widely available in the Netherlands). The good thing is, he gave met the E500 to play with during the weekend. The bad thing is that I tested it all weekend and I am disppointed. I am about 100% sure that I am doing something wrong, because I only see positive stories about the E500, here. I experieced 2 major issues. White balance and dark pictures. I tried to shoot a painting of colored squares on a white background, on a white wall. Indoor with the room lit. All preset white balance settings failed. As did the one button calibration, as did the temperature settings (from 2000 to 14000K). Then I moved the painting outdoor and I got perfect colors with the first shot (preset WB Cloudy).

The other issue is the dark pictures. Each picture I shoot indoor (auto or P)comes out too dark. On the display of the camera it looks ok, but when I upload to my computer it is way too dark. It´s not the monitor (calibrated) because when I print the picture it´s too dark also (using a Canon Selphy 400 dye sub printer). Looks good on the E500´s display, turns out bad in print.

I believe a camera should work ok in Auto mode. Not perfect, but ok. For perfect I am willing to tweak every possible setting, but imo Auto should produce reasonable results which it doesn´t.

May I ask the E500 owners: do you have the same experiences I´ve had with Auto-mode and are you all such experts who changed ecery possible setting in the E500 to produce the marvellous pictures I see in this thread? Or does your E500 also render acceptable results in Auto mode and am I doing something completely wrong?

I really want to buy this camera, but after this weekend of testing I think I may pass. I made an appointment with the camerstore to discuss my bad results next Friday and I´ll return the camera tomorrow to let them also test it. Then on Friday I´ll decide whether or not I´ll buy it. Any suggestions and tips from this thread will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow