Started Nov 11, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mark power
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
first impressions R1
Nov 11, 2005

Had my R1 a day now and so far it has met my every expectation. A few observations: strangely it was shipped with the LCD screen in the up position which leaves it unprotected. It is a heavy beast and larger than I expected ( my previous digital camera was a Minolta A1).But that's OK, I think larger, slower cameras might possibly make for more serious photography in this day of grabass photography with phone and shirtpocket cameras. A theory yet unproved but we will see.

There's a bit of a learning curve with the camera and I think it will challenge the skills of the amateur photographer as proved by some of the picture posts we've seen. But if one day's experience is any indication, it should make people who are patient that much better with their picture-making.

I read a post somewhere that said you'd have to charge the battery for 24 hours before use. It's actually about 3 hours.

Finally, I've had no trouble with indoor auto-focus, either with flash or without. Yes, it's not blazingly fast but not annoyingly slow either, at least not to me. I focused both with the w.a and telephoto at night in a fairly dark room, darker than I would normally photograph in. I could see the picture clearly and as I said the focus was fine.

Finally, contrary to some posts. I can't get Sony raw files to open in my fairly recent version of PS CS2. Maybe I need to do some downloading of more recent plug-ins.

Mark

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow