Started Nov 7, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MOF (Sydney)
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Like?
A1 Grand Prix, Sydney round
Nov 7, 2005

Took the camera to the Saturday practice day. It was great - small crowd so it was easy to get around and a venue without high fences so you could get pictures of cars and not wire grills.

A lot of photographers with plenty of expensive gear. I had a definite case of lens envy at different times. (And dominantly Canon - they really have grabbed this high end amateur market by the scruff of the neck.)

Among the pros I saw one Nikon but mostly Canon - typically two cameras. Both 1D. One would have the regulation 400 f2.8 and the other something shorter, most often 70-200 f2.8 IS.

This was my first day trying to shoot racing cars. Blimey they go fast.Got plenty of shots with the car cut in half. At first I used high shutter speeds (1/1600 or so) to "catch" them, but soon realised this was so effective they looked like they were just "parked." So I started panning with the car and used a lower speed - 1/320. After some practice this seemed to work quite well.

These are some of my more successful shots:

The race winning French entry:

Our local guy, Will Davidson:

Clsoe up showing the face of the Pakistani driver:

Photos of each entry at:

http://www.pbase.com/mof_sydney/a1_grand_prix

-- hide signature --

MOF Sydney

'The important thing is not to stop questioning.' Al Einstein

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow