ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TheMadScot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,656
Like?
18 - 200mm DX VR; image quality?
Nov 1, 2005

I spotted this sample on the nikonimaging.com website

D200, ISO100, 95mm (143mm equivalent), f/5.3 at 1/8 second.

and the MTF chart

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/af/dx/af-s_dx_vr_zoom18-200mmf_35-

Now, I'm relatively new to dSLR's and don't really know one end of an MTF chart from the other; I'm also still learning about what to look for as regards image quality from a lens.

Currently I use the 17-55DX and the 70-200VR with my D2x and, when on vacation, I don't always want to lug around both lenses or two bodies just to cover the myriad of subjects that I tend to encounter.

I like the look of the 18-200DX as a general "walk around" lens for vacations. It seems compact enough and has a decent range, covering in one fell swoop the range of my two current lenses. I also don't reckon I'll miss f/2.8 wide open (f/3.5 on this lens) but I'm not too sure about f/5.6 at the tele end.

Now, the recommended price for this lens is £600 (I know the 'street' price will be a little less) and, given it's lined up to be the replacement for the 24-120VR (IMHO), I'd like to know what other folks think about the sample image quality and lens performance chart.

Oh, and I know it's not the best sample to evaluate i.e. no full size image or 100% crop to look at

Thanks in advance!
--

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow