18 - 200mm DX VR; image quality?

Started Nov 1, 2005 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheMadScot Senior Member • Posts: 1,656
18 - 200mm DX VR; image quality?

I spotted this sample on the nikonimaging.com website

D200, ISO100, 95mm (143mm equivalent), f/5.3 at 1/8 second.

and the MTF chart

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/af/dx/af-s_dx_vr_zoom18-200mmf_35-

Now, I'm relatively new to dSLR's and don't really know one end of an MTF chart from the other; I'm also still learning about what to look for as regards image quality from a lens.

Currently I use the 17-55DX and the 70-200VR with my D2x and, when on vacation, I don't always want to lug around both lenses or two bodies just to cover the myriad of subjects that I tend to encounter.

I like the look of the 18-200DX as a general "walk around" lens for vacations. It seems compact enough and has a decent range, covering in one fell swoop the range of my two current lenses. I also don't reckon I'll miss f/2.8 wide open (f/3.5 on this lens) but I'm not too sure about f/5.6 at the tele end.

Now, the recommended price for this lens is £600 (I know the 'street' price will be a little less) and, given it's lined up to be the replacement for the 24-120VR (IMHO), I'd like to know what other folks think about the sample image quality and lens performance chart.

Oh, and I know it's not the best sample to evaluate i.e. no full size image or 100% crop to look at

Thanks in advance!
--

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
jfk
Dan
jfk
jfk
Dan
Dan
jfk
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Nes
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow