Started Oct 28, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MFfan310
Regular MemberPosts: 208
Like?
Questions for Bob Colette on Kodak 6850
Oct 28, 2005

I'm considering launching an on-demand event photography business that would offer event photos with instant prints. I've narrowed down my search for the printer to the Kodak Photo Printer 6850, but before I make any further decisions, I could use some answers to my questions.

First off, in the event photography market, which is the most popular print size...4x6, 5x7, or 6x8?

Second, is the 6850's quality just as good or better than that of the 6800? I personally think the 6800's quality (from my experience using Kodak Picture Maker kiosks) is top-notch...comparable with silver-halide. Other dye-sub and thermo-autochrome printers from my experience just aren't as good quality-wise.

Third, I could use some dark-storage and light-storage (typical home display conditions) estimates (in years) on how long the prints from the 6850 will last, so I can assure my customers that they're getting an archival or near-archival print.

Fourth, are there any plans for a Mac OS X driver for the 6850 either now or in the near future? An OS X driver would be nice, but not necessary, as I use both the Windows XP and Mac OS X platforms and know both well.

And finally, can you give me the status of the extra Windsor (CO) thermal media production lines as well as a timeframe for the new Rochester (NY) thermal media plant opening soon? One thing I want to be sure of is a consistently available source of media, as the local Meijer stores can't get the Japanese-made media for their Pixel Magic kiosks with Altech dye-subs half the time.

Hope to hear back from you soon!

-- hide signature --

Equipment: Canon EOS Digital Rebel, EF-S 18-55, 70-300 DO IS, 28-135 IS, and 550EX
Printers: Epson 2200, HP 8250
Potential: Limitless

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow