Started Oct 20, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
testami
Contributing MemberPosts: 848
Like?
Yes, Canon has confirmed an issue with 24-105
Oct 20, 2005

I had a fairly in-depth phone conversation with a lens technician at Canon about supposed flair issues with the new 24 - 105 lens. I eventually worked my way to him after calling 1-800-Canon-OK.

He read to me (verbatim) from an internal service advisory that has already been issued about this problem. Basically, here is what he said:

Yes, Canon is aware of a flair problem that is "beyond acceptable limits".

The problem occurs when a strong light source approximately "37.5 - 45 degress" from the lens corresponds with a wide zoom and wide aperture setting.

They have, indeed, stopped producing and shipping the 24-105 lenses while they fix the problem. They have also asked dealers to return unsold stock so the problem can be fixed.

They will have parts available on November 15 to fix the problem on lenses that have already been sold. They will, of course, fix the problem at no cost.

They expect a FAST turn-around on repairs since only about 1,500 lenses have made it into the market place and they have multiple service centers. I specifically asked about getting the lens back before Christmas and he said lenses should be returned within 10-14 days.

He said that they would be fixing the problem as oppossed to replacing the lens with another new unit. He didn't know exactly what they were going to do but thought it might involve replacing the front element or adding some type of coating....he was just GUESSING though.

Bottom line (according to "Justin"):
1. They are aware of the problem
2. They have a plan in place to fix it quickly
3. They caught it early on before too many units were shipped.

He was pretty nice about it and apologized for the inconveneince.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow