**Portraits** Tokina 100 f2.8 ATX Pro. (pics & crops)

Started Oct 17, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ianz28
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,379Gear list
Like?
**Portraits** Tokina 100 f2.8 ATX Pro. (pics & crops)
Oct 17, 2005

Portraits from the Tokina (all MF). I wish that I had an 85 to compare them too.

In short from what I see comparing them to the 80-200 f2.8 the Tokina has the contrast and saturation nearly matched. However, the sharpness is unreal. At f2.8 this lens outresolves the D70 (not scientific....just looking at the results). None of these images were sharpened. EV and WB adjustments only!

Please thank my GF for putting up with me and the camera! She is quite the unwilling subject! (I'm sure you can see it on her face.)

This is at f3.0 (due to focus - wide open)

at f2.8

at f5

(either bad focus or camera shake due to 1/80 second @ 100mm)

f8

(bokeh)

f5

Overall, I was very impressed with the results of this quick morning "walk in the park" test! This lens performs very well for portraits as well as having the critical sharpness needed for macro. If anything I would soften the images a little......

I very curious to hear what you guys think of the results from this lens and the bokeh for portraits as I was considering picking up an 85 1.8 (I still will eventually but, I have a couple of other lenses to look first.)

Ian

Portrait critiques are more than welcome as well. (I was more worried about camera settings and getting good test results than straight portraits......I kept messing with the aperture.....etc.....)
--
http://www.ianz28.smugmug.com

ianz28's gear list:ianz28's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow