Started Oct 5, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joecan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434
Like?
Sigma 18-50/2,8 (pics)
Oct 5, 2005

Seems to me, there are almost no days without debate about the WA zooms, and comparing the 17-55, 18-70 and the 18-50.
My choice was the Sigma, after struggeling with the kit lens.

That lens was fine at 5,6 and 8 and 11. But I didn't like wider, I found it soft. Never mind the darker picture in the viewfinder. After testing the Sigma 18-125 (same like the kit for me..except a longer range) the choice was obvious, and sold the kit and bought the Sigma.

The 17-55 is just too much for a little extra. I did quote in one thread a while ago, in the German "foto MAGAZIN" August issue the Sigma and Nikons are compared. Just a reminder..

I do not have permission to copy the pages, but the kit lens is last, optically and mechanically speaking. The two 2,8 are even optically and the Nikon is way superior mechanically.. However I couldn't see any weakness in Sigma yet.

So in my recent holiday trip, the Sigma was 90% on my D70. And is sharp, light enough to hold a half day on my neck.
Here are some samples:
F8 @ 5sec and 30 mm setting (easy one)

F8 @ 1/4 sec handheld(lucky photographer) at 18 mm

It is easy to have sharp pictures at F8. So next one is 1/60 sec at F3,5 and ISO 800:

And one more, in the Market building I had to go at ISO 560 to take this handheld at 1/60 sec at 2,8! and 18 mm

The photographs viewed at 100% are just perfect.
Would make the Nikon 17-55 better ones? It is not excluded even for me.
But not for the two and a half times the $$$, and 75% extra in weight!
Joe
http://joecan.smugmug.com/

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow