ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MCP
MCP
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
CR2 file sizes
Oct 4, 2005

I posted this earlier in the 300/350 forum as its more pertinent there however I was curious as to whether similar oddities exist in this forum's world.

==============================

I recently sold a couple of 1G CF cards to a friend for his 350D. He indicated he could use them as he typically on got around 70-75 shots to a Gig. This is for RAW + JPEG mode.

Woah!

I've got a 20D and at highest res and quality I get 85-90 to the same card. I've been lead to believe that for the most part, the 20D and the 350D are the same in the capture to storage area. I'm also aware that more complex shots or higher ISOs can bump up the image size but we're talking a 20% increase here.

The plot thickens as he indicates that with RAW+JPEG shots the .CR2 files are 3-4 meg larger than those captured purely RAW, no JPEG component.

My question to the group, how big are your average CR2 files? Are JPEG files being stored as part of the CR2 file when capturing in dual mode? Is his camera defective (although the pictures don't indicate high noise levels)?

I believe he has firmware 1.0.2, whichever the most current is but I may be wrong.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow