Started Sep 22, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MarkoNo5
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Strength of Nikon Lens Mounts
Sep 22, 2005

A few months ago, I bought the 80-400VR, and asked Nikon whether the lens mount of my D70 could be damaged by letting the lens hang on my D70 in a vertical position if I don't use it. I don't feel like buying a Kirk strap just to carry the lens+camera if it isn't necessary. The Dutch division of Nikon sent the question to Nikon Japan, and this was the result of their research (translated/edited by me):

Nikon Japan has performed the following test with AF80-200 and AF70-210 lenses. In a horizontal position, a force equal to a weight of 10kg(20 pounds) can be applied to the front of the lens for a maximum period of 10s without damaging the lens. They report that they have no standard specifications for the strength of the lens mounts, but that the D50,D70 and D2 series mounts are designed for transport and use of the Nikkor AF-S 600mm f/4.0 IF-ED II, wich weighs 4.750kg (although the nikon.nl website says it weighs 5.9kg).

10kg at a distance of 20cm equals 2Nm (disregarding the weight of the lens), which is an amazing amount of torque for such small device, even if 'only' for 10 seconds. Did anyone actually have problems with a lens mount that was damaged by a heavy lens? Seeing these numbers, it almost seems impossible.

I would love to see how they did the tests, and especially how much equipment they destroyed to find out the max. time of 10 seconds

Anyway I think this is fantastic customer support. As an engineer, I was truly delighted to read how they performed the test (and that they even tested it at all). Most other companies would probably have just told me they didn't know.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow