Help - cleaning focus screen of 350D

Started Sep 3, 2005 | Discussions thread
Mred32
Senior MemberPosts: 1,253
Like?
Not sure of the 350D but ...
In reply to Parn, Sep 4, 2005

... with the 300D this is the guide I use:

"1) Remove lens (duh), lay camera down so focusing screen is facing down. (rest camera shutter side down, tripod threads facing you)

2) Locate mirror damper, that's the felt-ish looking strip. Beneath this strip you'll see a small brass piece of metal with a small hole in it. This is the bracket that holds the focussing screen in place. Using a small, tapered piece of metal (I used the end of a fine pair of tweezers), push down (towards the screen) then push out (away from felt) The bracket will come loose
3) gently remove the bracket

4) Lay camera flat on its' back (lay it on the LCD) and give the flash housing a gentle tap. The focussing screen will fall forward. Gently remove the screen with tweezers, or slide out gently with something that won't scratch the screen or mirror (l cut the end off a Q-tip and used the shaft)
Behind the screen in a square brass shim. Dont lose it..

5) I washed the screen in warm, sudsy water (dishwashing detergent). I then blew off the screen with compressed air
Once clean and dry, handle screen by the edges. Dont let it get dusty.

REASSEMBLY

Lay the camera with the flash housing facing down (shutter button faces table)

AVOID TOUCHING THE MIRRORS. THIS CAN EASILY BE DONE WHERE NOTHING TOUCHES THE MIRROR. THE THREE PIECES "DROP" INTO PLACE, AND ARE "NUDGED" INTO POSITION.

1) Replace the shim. It goes in just the way it came out. The "botton" of the shim (with the 2 machined edges) faces away from the felt (faces the bottom of camera)

2) Replace the screen (The screen has 2 flanges on its lower edge, and has 2 "teets" or "bumps" on one side. The flanged side of the screen faces the bottom of the camera, the side with the 2 "bumps" faces away from you. When you have it right, the screen will fall into place. There is no mistaking when the screen is properly seated.

3) Replace the bracket that holds the screen secure. Along the sides of this bracket are a set of spring "arms". These push against the side of the screen. There are 2 tabs that stick out of the bottom of this bracket. They align with two grooves in the camera body. Once the bracket is aligned, push down on the "handle", (the part you saw under the felt when you began this undertaking.) Do this gently. Same thing as before. Push down , then push in (push under the felt)
All done.

Precautions

Work in a clean, well lit area. Note the orientation of parts as you remove them. This will make re-assembly less heart-wrenching.
Keep your fingers off the glass. Your hands should be clean and dry

I did this under an illuminated magnifier. My eyesight isn't the greateds, for me, this was necessary. Your mileage may vary.

Writing this took more time than doing it. The whole process: removal, clean and dry, and re-assembly can easily be done in under 5 minutes.
NOTE

This is not for the feint of heart. If you lack the confidence, or are unsure of your skill, don't try it. If you're afraid you'll break something, don't try it. If you have ever built a model car, and assembled the whole thing without getting glue over everything, then you can do this.
DISCLAIMER

I did this without any problem. The process is straightforward. If you scratch something, break something, your focussing screen slips out of your hands and falls down the drain, or you can't put the camera back together, please don't blame me. Do this at your own risk.

Regards Doug"

I've done this several time without problem.

Mred32
--
For most PC troubleshooting, a .22 will do the job.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow