Started Aug 13, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 15,240Gear list
Like?
Total Print Time on HP 8250
Aug 13, 2005

Yesterday I was at the store evaluating printers preparing for an event where I may be printing mainly 4x6 prints onsite (indoors). One printer that piqued my curiosity was the HP 8250 because of the alleged fast printing speed.

I brought with me a CF card with a couple of pictures on it to do testing with. To my disappointment, it took about 3 minutes to print two 4x6 prints from my CF card.

A sticker on the printer advertises print speeds up to 14 seconds for 4x6 prints. I realize such advertisements are usually best taken with a grain of salt. But what I'd read led me to believe this printer would at least be significantly faster than the other printers.

I didn't actually time the print with a stopwatch -- I used the time indicator on my cellphone. The finish time was 3 minutes later than the start time, which meant the job had to take at least 2 minutes. A minute surely doesn't compare very well to 14 seconds, which brings me to my question.

At the store, we're limited to printing from CF cards. Is that necessarily a slow method of printing? Even if it is slow, shouldn't it be at full speed by the time printing starts? What other factors influence print speeds? Has anyone here actually timed their printjobs on this printer?
--
http://www.pbase.com/victorengel/

Halloween Eclipse, 2004

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow