Started Aug 8, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aalexs
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
S2 IS / S1 IS vs S50 / S60 / S70
Aug 8, 2005

I'm looking for comments from people that have used both Sx0 series (S50, S60, or S70) and the Sx IS series (S1 IS and S2 IS).

I am considering getting the S2 IS or the S70 (or ...).

I used to have an S50 which I liked apart from the physical design (stupid multifunction rocker/switch controller). It was stolen so I tried out the S1 IS for its stabilization and zoom (not interested in movies, I have a DV camera for that).

I returned the S1 IS to the store because autofocus was terrible for interior shots in average light (no AF assist and it seemed like it had a bias for focusing in the distance when it wasn't sure) and the LCD wasn't sufficient to make manual focus an option. (I also notice that people are still complaining about the lens cap with the S2).

Anyway, I settled for a Nikon Coolpix 5200, which ergonomically is just fine (nice and small, reasonable button layout, feels well built), feels faster than the S50 was, and takes reasonable pics in strong daylight. However, it doesn't seem to focus as well as the S50, has a hugely distracting orange AF assist light, overemphasizes strong blues and reds, pictures look bad when the flash is on, and doesn't have the familiar Canon features and menus.

So my questions are:

If you have used both the S1 and S2, do you find that the S2 autofocus actually works OK in 'low' light?

If you have used both the S2 and S50, S60, or S70, which did you prefer and why?

Thanks

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow