S50/S60/S70 - scratch resistance, dynamic range?

Started Aug 1, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Actinide
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
S50/S60/S70 - scratch resistance, dynamic range?
Aug 1, 2005

Hi,

I've had a search through the many previous S60 vs S70 threads and can't find an answer to this question - how well does the black coating on the S50 and S70 stand up to heavy use?

Our S20 just died after nearly five years of hard service which included a number of falls - it was by far and away the best camera for us at the time it was released and gave better photos than many other cameras that were released over the following two or three years. We're hoping to choose as well this time around, and in deciding between the S60 and S70 the possibility of the black coating on the S70 wearing away to a scuffed appearance is one thing favouring the S60. Does anyone have any experience of this happening?

Also, I'm wonderng about the dynamic range of photos from the S60 vs S70. I realise the former is slightly noisier and lower-resolution, but I have only seen hints of discussion regarding any other differences between the sensors. I notice in lot of the sample photos in various reviews, the S70 manages blue sky and good shadow detail in the same photos, whereas the S60 (like the S20) always seems to have white sky in photos where good shadow detail is present. Does this reflect a genuine difference between the two sensors, or am I just looking at photos taken on overcast days?

Lastly, I read through some old flame wars regarding poor focus performance and responsiveness on the S70. Firstly, I'm assuming that after five years with an S20 we would still find the S70 a step forward in these areas, or at least not a step backwards? Secondly, is the S60 any different at all in this regard?

Thanks very much for any help!

JC.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow